Online gambling has a unique set of risks. Combined with the business opportunities of the COVID-19 crisis, online gambling is particularly tempting and destructive to people with gambling problems. Why? The following are six risk factors for online gambling sites.
1. easy access. With just a few clicks, gamblers can access games and betting opportunities directly from their devices.
2. The isolated environment. While gambling in casinos allows people to socialize, online gambling sites are usually conducted in isolation. For those with gambling problems, it may be easy for them to hide how often and where they are playing.
3. The online gambling sites are open 24/7, giving people the opportunity to play day and night.
4. Seemingly unlimited money can be wagered. Quick bets and losses can be made with a credit card. At online gambling sites, credit cards don’t need to be loaded or reloaded, so it’s easier to forget to spend money.
5. Unregulated websites. Fraudulent or unregulated online gambling sites may take advantage of players and are difficult to track and act upon when problems arise.
6. Internet security issues. Because websites may be unregulated, personal data, including credit card and bank accounts, may be vulnerable to hackers or fraudsters. In addition, contact information may be shared with third party partners to promote gambling sites and offers.